Pen pal

I remember Rebecca with a lot of fondness. She was an exchange student back when I was in highschool. She was from Mexico, her English wasn’t perfect, but she was fun. Allost nobody hanged out with her, but Haley and me were good friends with her.

I lost contact with Haley when I atarted college. But I kept in touch with Becca. We weren’t penpals perse, but we loved to chat.

One day, she told me she were to get married. “I don’t want to… but my parents insist he is a good catch” she told me with tears in her eyes. “You should move back to the states, I’d take care of you” I told her. She said that while she’d love to, that wasn’t possible at the time.

“Well, if I could break up with him, and stand up to your parents for you, I would” I told her. “That’s actually a fantastic idea!” She said. “What if I can have you talk to them through me?” She told me. I didn’t know what she meant, but I told her “sure, anything you need”. She smiled. She then said some lating words. Suddenly, I found myself in Becca’s home. “Que pasó?” I asked myself… in Spanish… with her voice.

“Rebecca!” Her mom yelled. “Ahí estas… llamo tu novio… que pasa por ti en media hora” she told me. I was surprised I could understand Spanish. “No quiero ir con él mamá, yo no lo amo” I told her. I was still surprised how good I was at speaking Spanish.

But then Rebecca’s mom said something that utterly surprised me. “You are not really my daughter aren’t you?” She asked, in English. “Pero sí soy tu hija… i am your daughter”. I corrected myself. “No… no  she swapped with you… did she expect you to do something for her? I bet she asked you to break up with Jaime” she said. “No mom… like I told you, no lo amo” i insisted. “Ya veremos” she said as she said some latin words. Suddenly, I fell in a trance. “See, my daughter had casted a charm on herself to protect herself from my spells… but you are not her… well, not yet” she said. She walked towards me, and whispered in my ear, “i know I cannot alter your memories, but you will accept being my daughter, you will call me mama, and you will love Jaime. No way are you swapping back, you will love as my daughter for the rest of your life. Y me daras mucho nietos” she said. The words echoed inside my mind.

As I came back to my senses. I felt happy I had swapped bodies with Rebecca. “Le diras a Rebecca que ahora tu eres ella… pero antes de que le llames, hagamos un hechizo de proteccion, that way, she won’t be able to swap you back” she said. I smiled. We casted the spell.

I called Rebecca, I told her what had happened. “But I am happy, you got what you wanted… you don’t have to marry him anymore…” I told her. She tried to swap us back, but didn’t work. “Sorry darling, ahora yo soy Rebecca” I told her and hung up.

That night I met Jaime. He was even more handsome than I had imagined. Who knows why she didn’t want to be with him. “Hola guapo, hagámoslo hoy mismo” I told him as I took off my clothes. The old Rebecca hadn’t slept with him, but that was about to change. “Espero te guste la nueva yo”.




Comentarios